When God talks of idolatry, he kinda makes fun of it. Like he can’t just let it pass without making snide remarks about its foolishness! Not to mention that He used the first 2 of the 10 commandments to speak on the subject. He is preeeetty harsh against idols.
But we kinda like our idols, so here is a reminder about how ridiculous we are.
Here is what He says in Is 44:9-ff
Ridiculing Idol makers:
- They are vanity (all of them) (9)
- The things they like are unprofitable (9)
- It’s obvious that they have no perception or understanding (9)
- He embarrasses his friends (11)
Mocking idol making:
- Takes a lot of work to make a god. (12)
- Even the creator gets tired, hungry, and faint – and you look to it for sustenance, strength and protection? (12)
- A god needs to be created? (12)
- By a blacksmith?
- Or carpenter?
- The carpenter might be good at what he does, but its just wood, you know.
- Fancy wood or metal is still just wood and metal.
- Where did that wood come from anyway?
- Is something that can be burned up cooking worthy to be worshipped?
- Falling down before a creation (15)
- Worshipping before an idol (16)
- Asking for deliverance from an image (17)
- Declaring allegiance to another god (17)
- Proclaiming a god to be God (17)
Why in the world do we worship idols?
- Blinded eyes
- No understanding
- No discernment
- Not taking time to consider the foolishness
- A deceived heart
The gospel is the only answer to idolatry. It is the light in the darkness. It gives understanding and discernment. It makes dead people live and turn from idols to serve the living God.
But it must be shined unto them.