1. Language – The largest obstacle we are gong to face immediately when we arrive is going to be the language barrier. Thai is the 3rd hardest language for an English-speaker to learn. It is tonal and nothing is similar. It will be added stress to an already extreme move to not be able to communicate to anyone once we get there.
We have high goals as we go in. The people that we have talked to say that it takes at least 2 years to learn to a level to be able to preach comfortably. We are asking that we might be able to do it in 1 year to a year and a half.
2. Moving Stuff – There is a lot of sorting, organizing, and deciding about what we are going to have to take, but whatever we do decide to take is going to be packed in duffle bags and put on a plane for transport. Pray that stuff would make it and not be destroyed and that things will go smoothly as we move in to our first house.
3. Buying and setting up house – It kind of stinks that some of the most expensive decisions that you have to make have to be made immediately, before you know anything, and when you are at everyone’s mercy. Pray for his guidance to the place he has for us.
4. Find the right people to learn from and influence us. – Though we know who we can work with when we arrive, there are 1,000 people that are going to want to influence us about ministry and work in Thailand. We need great wisdom and discernment to know who and what to believe because there is a lot of poison that we would rather avoid.
5. 7 more partnering churches – We are asking the Lord for at least 7 more churches to partner with us before we leave for the field on April 10th. Just 55 days away!